Friday, September 7, 2007

Biggest smallmouth bass I've caught on the Patapsco

Played hooky this morning- it was just too nice out to drive to work. I was on the water at 6:00, and paddled about 1.5 miles upriver to where the kids and I have done well. I snuck as quietly as I could up to a stump below a cool tributary where some bigger fish hang out. I launched a big tube up against the stump, and right away a fish thumped it. I set the hook- and---- nothing.

Drat!

I tried again, a fish took again. I set the hook and this time managed to sink it in an 11" fish. This was the biggest fish I've caught so far this year on the river. Not bad, but I'd seen a good 15 inch fish there the day before while biking, so I was a bit disappointed. More casts led to nothing. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

I decided to keep going upriver just to explore. I'd never been past this spot on the water. I blasted through 3 or 4 pretty nice holes, but only saw 12 inch fish and big suckers. It's very clear, and though the river is 50-80 feet wide, it's only about 15 feet wide in the deep spots- which are no more than 5' deep. I can see pretty much everything.

I keep going through skinnier and skinnier water, in some places slipping through boulders in seams that barely fit the boat. It's really not looking promising, but I keep going. Then I see a big log in the water in a rocky area at a bend. Hmmm... Looks fairly deep- at least 3 feet or so. So I throw a nose-hooked smoke with purple flake 3" stick-o to the head of the hole. Almost immediately, there is a take. I set the hook, and it feels decent. I bring the line tight, then grab the paddle to stay out of the bottom part of the log that the stream is pushing me into. The fish comes to the surface and boils, and WHOA!!! that is a BIG fish. I don't really believe my eyes, and right away I realize that there is no way I'm going to land this. I'm being pushed into a big snag, and as the fish is upcurrent of me I'm pulling it right into the snag- where it will easily wrap me up and pull off the 6 lb braid and tiny size 6 hook.

I crazily alternate between reeling and paddling with my left hand to keep the boat out of the wood. The fish for reasons I do not understand is fighting more or less straight upcurrent from me, so it's fighting both the current and my ultra-ultra light 6' Lamiglas. Twice it goes all the way under the snag on downstream runs, and I have to fend off the wood with one foot while holding the rod underwater to keep the line clear. Both times the fish runs back upriver and clears itself. The fish never jumps, but it boils several times giving me good looks at it and keeping my adrenalin pumping. After what feels like 5 minutes of "this fish is going to break off any second" I am in total disbelief when I see that I've worn the fish down, and that I'm gaining control of it. I very quickly get it on the surface and keep it there, drop my hand down and lip it. I really can not believe what I'm holding. I put it to the ruler on the side of the boat- it's a solid 17" fish- in great shape and with awesome color. I've never seen a fish anything like this in this river.

I have the camera handy, and quickly take a few shots. I'm relieved when she swims off strongly, right under a big rock in the deepest part of the hole.

I've caught bigger fish, but none that I felt like I'd earned quite as much as I did this one. What a great way to start the weekend!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Big Fisherman -

Want to hear how your sister’s morning went? Here goes... The roofers were still at the house, so I slathered James and I with bug spray and sunscreen, grabbed Amber (the dog) and the stroller and headed down to the stream for a nice leisurely walk. We go down the big hill, and as soon as we drop into the trees I see a flash of white in the water. We stop - it’s a Great Egret - big, blindingly white, black legs, long yellow beak. James and I squat down and watch - he is fascinated by the big white bird. Amber figures we must be watching a squirrel, so off she goes - James says ‘Whoaaaaa’ as the Egret lifts up and heads downstream. Amber is thrilled to have caused the commotion and comes prancing back up from the water. Then, over my right shoulder comes another egret, and another, and still one more. Four altogether - in the four years we’ve lived here, I’ve never seen one, then today, I see four. We keep walking - we see them in the water again up ahead, but this time I keep the dog and James clear to give them a little peace. Shortly after we pass them, a truck and an earth mover bob-cat thing come rolling towards us - workers finishing up the path construction. They spook the birds, so we get to see them fly by again, this time with a Great Blue Heron in the lead. We again pass them by quietly, continue our walk, then turn around to head home. As we’re about to cross the stream for the last time, we see a Green Heron perched on one of the stream pillars. We watch him for a while, but we need to cross, so he takes off. We watch him fly - then see him land on a dead tree hanging over the water - also on that dead tree is one of the egrets. Three more egrets are in the water, with the Great blue heron right with them. Six beautiful birds in a 30 foot area. If I’d had my camera, I would have had an astonishing picture. I’m grinning from ear to ear - I’ve landed in a Disney movie. James wants to go see the birdies closer, but I explain that they are eating and we need to leave them alone. We head towards home. Not long before the end of the stream path, James decides he needs a fresh diaper. So, I take care of that bit of business. I’m pulling his shorts back up when I hear the dog chuffing and puffing and snorting. I look up and see her dancing in the woods wearing a yellow jacket blanket. I start yelling, “Amber Roll, Roll!” - she nose dives into the leaves and gets a good number off - then I feel a sharp sting in my neck. Uh oh. Amber decides to come see me, since Mommy fixes everything. I’m yelling again “Amber, in the water, get in the water!!” I pick up James and start running. I’m still yelling for Amber to get in the water but the #$%@& dog is just trotting along side me looking like a leopard - her coat just studded with wasps. I’m getting stung again and again and I’m trying to keep James as sheltered as possible. The workers who passed us earlier are right up ahead and they hear us coming - I throw James in his stroller and push the stroller to the workers, yelling, “bees are swarming us - keep them off of him” - they take him and yell “Go, Go, Go!” I run with Amber into the water - she sinks in up to her nose - while I toss water on myself. They slide off Amber and head for me but I’m already halfway back up the bank to check on James. One of the workers is running behind me - he’s wacking me in the butt and back of the legs with his hat - knocking the last few off. The other guys says, “baby is OK.” I thank them and tell them that I have to keep moving. I run halfway up that steeeeep hill pushing James in the stroller. I stop to wheeze - and ask James if he the bees stung him - I didn’t see any stings, and he’s not crying, and didn’t fuss once during the whole incident - so I figured he was fine. He tells me that the bee bit him ‘in his shorts’ - he shows me where, and he’s got a welt on his thigh. I ask if the bee bit anywhere else and he says, “on my elbow” - I lift up his sleeve and he’s got another sting on his arm. I start running again, since these are his first stings and I have no idea if he’s going to have a reaction to them. We get home - I doctor him, and check the dog. Amber is all lumpy, but seems unconcerned. I check myself - I’ve got 7 stings - I’m lucky that I was covered from ankle to elbow in loose clothing. They still got me through my clothes - I have a big welt on my butt, two on the back of my thigh, two under my arm, one on my neck and one on my back. The big welts look (and feel) like multiple stings - they must just tag you over and over. Ambers welts are almost gone - she has such thick skin. James only cried when I put on the onion & baking soda home remedy - but he has no swelling and seems just fine. I called his doctor, then my OBGYN - “um, I have a strange question...I’m pregnant and just got a bunch of yellow jacket stings...do I need to be concerned at all?” It sure was exciting. Went from a Disney movie to a Hitchcock film in about 5 minutes.

DanMarino said...

Great fish story Mike.
I've never caught anything close to that size on the Patapsco.

I'm usually fishing up river from I think you normally go.

A 12-13 inch fish is about as big as I've caught from there.

I've had great luck on small tubes and green pumpkin curly tail grubs on 1/8 ounce hooks.

Anonymous said...

Where did start paddling, I'm looking for smallmouth bass… thanks